At The Goodness Project, we are experts in all things vegan. That’s why we put together this handy guide of everything we think new vegans should know, created specifically to help you navigate life as a new vegan. Keep reading to start learning our top vegan tips, recipes and more!
Know Your Why
If you’re a new vegan, you should know why you’re doing it. Any dietary commitment is easier to stick to if you know your ‘why’. We all know that the vegan lifestyle has risen in popularity over the last few years or so, but why exactly is it that you made the jump?
As a new vegan it is vital that you understand the benefits of your lifestyle, as it allows you to educate others about the detrimental effects of the meat industry or the inarguable health benefits of a vegan diet. Here are some of the main reasons to go vegan, why not spend some time figuring out your why?
- Vegan Food Has Numerous Health Benefits. If you are eating a healthy, balanced vegan diet rich in wholefoods like fruit, vegetables, pulses, grains, nuts, and seeds, there can be numerous health benefits that come with the high levels of fibre, antioxidants and vitamins in these foods. Some main vegan health benefits include: reducing our risk of cancer and other diseases, boosting our mood, reducing our risk of type 2 diabetes, improving our skin and improving arthritis.
- For The Animals. The meat, fishing, egg, and dairy industries are horrific for animals, it’s as simple as that. Most of these animals feel pain and are forced to endure torturous short lives in the meat industry. The industry only functions from demand, so go vegan today if you care about the animals and want to make a difference.
- For The Planet. With loud pleas on the behalf of the environment from the likes of Greta Thunberg and David Attenborough, you would have to be living under a rock to have missed the devastating impact our carbon emissions are having on the environment and global warming. As people begin to pay more attention to these warnings, should we all be doing our bit to help the environment? If so, going vegan is a great choice.
Know What To Eat
If you’re a new vegan, you might be struggling to know what to eat. Though there are a world of creative and colourful vegan meals available, it’s important to ensure that you are meeting your nutritional needs and not just eating vegan ‘junk’ — a real thing! If you do not plan your diet properly, you might end up low in some essential nutrients, including calcium, iron and vitamin B12.
For a healthy vegan diet, you need to make sure that you:
- Eat at least 5 portions of a different fruits and vegetables every day
- Base your meals on potatoes, bread, rice, pasta or other starchy carbohydrates (choose wholegrain where possible)
- Have some dairy alternatives, such as soya drinks and yoghurts (best to choose lower-fat and lower-sugar options)
- Eat lots of beans, pulses and other proteins
- Choose unsaturated oils and spreads, and eat in small amounts
- Drink plenty of fluids (the government recommends 6 to 8 cups or glasses a day)
More focussed cravings (such as sweet treats or meals for special occasions) are going to take a little extra thought, but gone are the days of the vegan missing out! We know you’ll want some amazing extra recipes to add to your list, so here are a couple of our favourite vegan recipes that we think all new vegans should try!
Vegan Baking Recipes: Vegan Gluten-Free Donuts
Donuts are a delicious favourite among everyone, but when you’re following a vegan or a gluten-free diet, it can be hard to find any that are gluten, dairy and egg free, that’s where we come in! Complete with vegan chocolate icing, our vegan and gluten-free donuts mean new vegans are no longer forced to miss out on this indulgent delicacy.
What you’ll need:
- Oat flour
- Buckwheat flour
- Cane, coconut or brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Coconut or other vegan friendly milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Agave syrup
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
If these ingredients are tickling your fancy and you think you’re ready to get baking, why not follow the recipe from Losune’s Simple Vegan Blog.
Vegan Baking Recipes: Vegan Blueberry Scones
Another classic favourite that many vegans find themselves missing out on is a good blueberry scone. If you fancy getting creative with your vegan baking and leaving the days of missing out in the past, this delicious recipe could be perfect for you.
What you’ll need:
- Gluten-free all purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Himalayan pink salt
- Coconut cream
- Almond milk (or any other non-dairy vegan milk alternative)
- Vanilla bean extract
- Fresh or frozen blueberries
- Fresh jam or compote of choice
Ready to get started? Read the rest of this wonderful recipe at Wholesome Patisserie.
Find more of our favourite vegan baking recipes here, plus if you’re looking to add a dash of chocolate to your bakes, find out which ones are suitable in our guide to vegan chocolate.
Looking for Delicious Vegan Christmas Recipes? Find more over in this blog!
Know What Gifts To Buy
If you’re buying gifts for a new vegan (including yourself!) but are feeling somewhat lost at where to start, you’ve come to the right place. Here are a couple of our favourite gifts for new vegans:
- Vegan Hampers make a great gift for any new vegan. Filled with your choice of vegan chocolate, healthy bites other delicious snacks, you can’t go wrong with luxury snack hampers like this.
- Vegan Cards & Accessories are great as a thoughtful treat. Whether it's cards, socks or a new candle, there’s vegan accessories to make any new vegan smile!
- Vegan Alcohol Gift Sets make a wonderful gift for any new vegan trying to navigate what they can and can’t drink. Make sure your new vegan friend has plenty of drink options at your next party, or stock up for yourself here.
Find Vegan Gifts and Snacks For Any Occasion at The Goodness Project, or Find Loads More Expert Vegan Tips Over on The Goodness Blog!
At The Goodness Project, we provide healthy, free-from snacks and more for vegans new and old! Just because you’re at the start of your vegan journey doesn’t mean you shouldn’t enjoy every step!
We are dedicated to providing you with only the best vegan snacks, recipes and ideas, with years of experience to back us up. Contact us today to find out more!